Monday, December 14, 2009

Nostalgia. . .

Something about the smell of warm air in Pittsburgh always pulls me back to the spring of my freshman year of college. It smells like promise and potential.

Driving home from work today I get the same feeling I had early in 2005. So, I sit here with the window open wide to that magical air and the Shins' "Chutes Too Narrow" wailing from the speakers, and I reminisce about the wonderful world open to a young man with no responsibilities and nothing but optimism for tomorrow.

The world has changed since then. I have grown up--to some degree anyways. And after a period of weary cynicism and complacency, life is beginning to seem like it did that spring. Good things surely are to come. T.S. Eliot said in Little Gidding, "We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

I'm ready to revisit the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment